Department of Housing and

Urban Development

Veterans Affairs Supportive




The Housing Authority of the City of Carrollton (CHA) received an award for 30 HUD-VASH vouchers to serve homeless Veteran households in Carroll County and surrounding neighborhoods. If you are a homeless Veteran you may be eligible to enroll. Single persons, couples, and families with children are eligible to apply.


The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program helps eligible homeless military Veterans secure and maintain decent, stable, and affordable housing by combining the CHA Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) rental assistance program and supportive services with case management and clinical services provided by the VA.

HUD-VASH is a long term case management, supportive services, and permanent housing support program for chronically homeless Veterans who require these supports to live independently. The program is funded through a partnership between the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA). The VA staff provides case management services designed to resolve current homelessness and prevent future episodes of homelessness. HUD funds the HCV rental assistance program, which enables the Veteran to obtain affordable housing. The voucher program is administered through the CHA.

Who is Eligible to Participate?

The HUD-VASH program targets homeless Veterans or Veterans on the verge of homelessness (meaning eviction is imminent). The program is designed to support our most vulnerable homeless Veteran population, including those with medical, mental health, or substance use disorders.

In order to participate in the HUD-VASH program candidates must be VA healthcare eligible and homeless. They must also express a willingness to participate in supportive services provided by the VA. Veterans in transitional housing or residential treatment programs who were homeless prior to entering those programs are also eligible.

Other eligibility criteria…

Income: Total household income must not be more than 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI), which is currently $64,400. Please see income limits, per family size, in the chart below:

Household Size Very Low (50%) Income Limit
1 $22,550
2 $25,800
3 $29,000
4 $32,200
5 $34,800
6 $37,400
7 $39,950
8 $42,550
9 $45,100
10 $47,700

Criminal background check: A criminal background check will be conducted on all adult household members age 18 and older. Sex offenders subject to lifetime registration are not eligible for this program.

How to apply?

Referrals: Any VA clinician or community service provider may refer Veterans for the program. Veterans may also refer themselves. Veterans will be screened for the program, to ensure eligibility and clinical need.

Homeless Veterans not currently working with a VA clinician should contact the Health Care for Homeless Veterans Outreach Specialist or a Social Worker at the VA Medical Center to discuss available housing support options, including the HUD-VASH program.


For further information about eligibility requirements or to refer a Veteran family, please contact:
Brandolynn Marenco, Housing Manager
Housing Authority of the City of Carrollton
1 Roop Street
Carrollton, Georgia 30117
(770)834-2046 ext. 112 or by