What is the location of the Carrollton Housing Authority?

1 Roop Street

Carrollton, GA 30117

770-834-2046 ext 106

770-834-8708 fax

How do I contact the Carrollton Housing Authority?

You can call the main office at: 770-834-2046 or visit the Staff Directory page.

What does the Carrollton Housing Authority provide?

The Carrollton Housing Authority provides affordable housing for very low income and moderate income persons.

How Do I Apply for housing?

To apply for public housing, download the pre-application, fill it out, sign it and call to schedule an appointment to bring it back. To receive a paper copy of the pre-application for public housing, call CHA at (770)834-2046 or visit the main office at 1 Roop Street, Carrollton, GA 30117. The information you provide will be reviewed to determine preliminary eligibility.

How do I know if I’m eligible for housing?

If determined eligible for housing you will receive a letter and will be placed on the waiting list.

What is public housing?

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. CHA owns and operates 249 units of public housing.

How long is the waiting list for Public Housing?

The Waiting list is currently 3-12 months.

How much assistance will I get?

Rents in public housing are set at 30% of adjusted gross household income.

What information will I have to provide? Am I eligible?

You will have to provide information about all sources of income in the household, as well as information related to your ability to pay your portion of the rent and your abilitiy to abide by the terms of your lease. All of the information that you provide about your income will be carefully checked with employers, banks, and other sources of income before you are found to be eligible. You will also need to provide picture ID, Social Security cards for everyone in the household, and birth certificates for everyone in the household.

Former recipients of federal housing assistance who left a program owing back rent or other charges must pay the balance owed before being considered for the Public Housing Program.

A history of drug and/or alcohol related or violent criminal activity which might threaten the health, safety or peaceful existence of others may be grounds for disqualification from Public Housing eligibility.

How do I apply?

To apply for public housing, download the pre-application, fill it out, sign it and call to schedule an appointment to bring it back. To receive a paper copy of the pre-application for public housing, call CHA at (770)834-2046 or visit the main office at 1 Roop Street, Carrollton, GA 30117. The information you provide will be reviewed to determine preliminary eligibility.

What are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes and apartments. A family that is issued a housing choice voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Carrollton Housing Authority (CHA). A rental subsidy is paid to the owner directly by the CHA on behalf of the family. The family then pays 30% of household income as the difference between the contract rent approved for the owner and the amount subsidized by the program.

Who should I contact for information regarding the status of my application?

Your application is managed by the Carrollton Housing Authority. Please call or visit the office for any questions or updates to your application.

Carrollton Housing Authority

1 Roop Street

Carrollton, GA 30117

770-834-2046 ext 106

770-834-8708 fax

How can I apply for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

The Section 8 waiting list is closed at this time. The CHA advertises in the local newspaper, the Times-Georgian, when taking Section 8 applications.

I am a Victim of Domestic Violence, how can I apply for Section 8 Housing Assistance

You should refer to the Guide to Section 8 Housing Assistance Program for the list of documents needed to qualify for the Victim of Domestic Violence priority. You will be able to find this information on the hud.gov website.

Can an individual apply to both Section 8 and Public Housing?

Yes. But the applicant can only rent in one program. If an applicant rents a Section 8 apartment or a public housing apartment, the applicant’s priority status for the program that he/she was not selected for will be changed to reflect the fact that they now reside in a Section 8 or public housing apartment.

How long will my Section 8 application remain active?

Section 8 applications do not expire. It will remain active until you receive notification for an interview. However, if not updated, the application will be withdrawn.

How long will I have to wait before I am called for a Section 8 interview?

Currently the waiting list is between 3 to 5 years.

Why is there such a long wait for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

The demand for Section 8 Housing Assistance far exceeds the supply.

Is there a maximum income that would make me ineligible for Section 8 housing?

Yes. The maximum family gross income that a family may have is based on family size.

Person(s) in Family Income Limits
1 $26,900
2 $30,700
3 $34,550
4 $38,400
5 $41,450
6 $44,550
7 $47,600
8 $50,700
9 $53,750
10 $56,850
11 $59,900
12 $63,000

Is there a minimum income requirement for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

No. You are not required to have a minimum income but you or a family member who will reside with you must have some type of income.

Do I have to be a citizen of the United States to be eligible for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

You do not have to be a citizen of the United States but at least one member of your family must be a United States citizen or a non-citizen with eligible immigration status.

Is there a minimum age requirement when applying for Section 8 Housing Assistance?

Yes. You and your co-head (spouse or domestic partner), if any, must be at least 18 years of age.

How much will my rent be?

You must call or visit the CHA and inform them of the change. This ensures that you will receive any mailings concerning your application.

What should I do if I have a change in my family composition?

You must call or visit the CHA.

What should I do if I change my address after I submit an application?

You must call or visit the CHA and inform them of the change. This ensures that you will receive any mailings concerning your application.

What should I do if my income has changed?

You do have to report changes to the amount of your income so you should call or visit your HCV Coordinator.

What should I do if my housing situation has changed?

You should refer to the Guide to Section 8 Housing Assistance Program to determine whether the change in your housing situation will affect your housing priority. In most situations, the housing priority will not change and you do not need to report the change. If you have any concerns about your application, you should call or visit the CHA.

What should I do if I miss the appointment for my interview?

You should call or visit the CHA as soon as possible to make arrangements to reschedule. However, you must make this request within six months from the date of your first appointment date.

How will families be notified that a voucher is ready for them?

After their applications are certified for Section 8 eligibility, and assuming a voucher is available for them, families will receive a notice from the CHA advising them that they must attend a briefing where the voucher is issued. Your HCV Coordinator must be immediately notified if there are any mailing address changes before the briefing notice is received.

Will the CHA help me find an apartment once I obtain a voucher?

The CHA does not provide Section 8 apartments. It is the applicants’ responsibility to find their own apartment within six months of the issuance of the voucher. The apartment must meet Federal Housing Quality Standards (HQS).

Will the CHA pay security deposits, moving expenses, broker fees, or utilities?

The CHA does not pay security deposits or moving expenses. The tenant is responsible for paying for any utilities not included in the rent according to the lease.

Can I rent a Section 8 apartment at higher rent or larger size than the standard?

You can rent an apartment at a higher rent but the CHA will only pay the difference between the payment standard and the portion above 30% of income. The resident has to pay the difference if the rent is higher. You can rent an apartment that is one room larger than the voucher apartment size but the rent cannot be more than 40% of the family’s adjusted gross income at the time of initial occupancy.

Can I rent an apartment outside of Carrollton, GA with my Section 8 voucher?

Yes. Section 8 voucher holders can choose to move anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, as long as there is a Section 8 Program being administered in that locality.

How long is my Section 8 voucher active?

Generally, Section 8 vouchers are active for 180 days

What is AEP?

The Carrollton Housing Authority Abstinence Education Program (AEP) is an abstinence until marriage education program specifically designed for adolescents and teenagers between the grades 6th through 12th.

How much does AEP cost?

The Carrollton Housing Authority Abstinence Education Program (AEP) is free.

When does AEP meet?

AEP meets Monday— Friday from 3:00 p.m.—7:00 p.m. at three sites in the Carrollton area. We also conduct one Saturday activity per month with the youth.

How do I sign my child up for AEP?

Contact the Thomas Homes Achievement Center at (770) 834-5510.

What is the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program?

Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) is a HUD program that encourages the development of local strategies to help housing voucher assisted and public housing residents families to obtain employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency. The Carrollton Housing Authority works with welfare agencies, schools, businesses, and other local support service agencies, and non-profit agencies to develop a comprehensive program that gives participating FSS family members the skills and experience to enable them to obtain employment that pays a living wage.

How do families apply to the FSS program?

Families that are currently living in public housing or receive a voucher should discuss participation in the FSS program with the PH FSS Coordinator or the HCV FSS Coordinator at the Carrollton Housing Authority.

What services are provided through the FSS program?

Through a referral system, the FSS program services may include, but are not limited to:
-child care
-job training and employment counseling
-household skill training
-homeownership counseling

What families are eligible to participate in the FSS program?

Families who live in public housing or in the Housing Choice Voucher Program are eligible to participate in the FSS program.

Can CHA require families to participate in FSS?

No. Participation of families in the FSS program is voluntary and cannot a be condition of receiving housing.

What requirements must a family meet to participate in the FSS program?

The CHA and the head of each participating family execute an FSS contract of participation that specifies the rights and responsibilities of both parties. The 5-year FSS contract specifies goals and services for each family. Family members must fulfill all requirements in order to obtain full benefits.
The FSS contract requires that the family comply with the lease, that all family members become independent of TANF, and that the head of the family seek and maintain suitable employment. Possible sanctions for noncompliance with the FSS contract are termination from the FSS program, forfeiture of the FSS escrow account, and withholding or termination of supportive services.

What is the FSS escrow account?

An interest-bearing FSS escrow account is established for each participating family. An escrow credit, based on increases in earned income of the family, is credited to this account by the CHA during the term of the FSS contract. The CHA may make a portion of this escrow account available to the family during the term of the contract to enable the family to complete an interim goal such as education.

If the head-of-household completes the contract, is employed in their field for 12 months, and no member of the family is receiving TANF, the amount of the FSS account is paid to the head of the family. If the CHA terminates the FSS contract, or if the family fails to complete the contract before its expiration, the family’s FSS escrow funds are forfeited.

Will a family lose housing assistance after the family completes its FSS contract?

No. Although it is hoped that families will no longer need housing assistance upon completion of the FSS program, some families that complete the program will still need assistance for housing. The law provides that a family may complete its FSS contract and receive its escrow while continuing to receive housing assistance with public housing and the voucher program.

How do I enroll in the Ross/NNP Program?

An appointment must be scheduled with the Ross Coordinator. 770 834-2046 ex101

How can I have an Employment Prospect delivered to my home?

All public housing residents upon enrollment into the Ross/NNP program will receive an bi-weekly listing of available jobs within the area.

Do I have to be a public housing resident in order to received a job lead?

No. Job leads are also made available at the CHA main front office lobby and CHA website.

How do I qualify for a Carrollton Housing Authority in-home computer?

The Neighborhood Networks EMPOWERLINK program is only available to Griffin Homes and Thomas Homes residents who have children between the ages of 4-18 years who also attend the City of Carrollton School System.

How do I apply for the in-home computer?

Contact Matthew Kittle at 770-834-5480 ex 16 to see if you qualify.

Is the computer mine to keep?

No. The computer and all accessories The computer and the equipment included with the computer remain property of the Carrollton Housing Authority and should also be treated as an appliance of the apartment; therefore, it should not be abused or removed from the apartment in which it is installed.

How do I report a computer problem?

Contact the computer work order line at: 770-834-2046 ex.300

How do I know if I meet the income qualifications?

Please review the income chart below. To remain eligible for the NSP program, your income must fall below the maximum income in accordance with your family size.

Family Size Maximum Income
1 $57,300
2 $65,450
3 $73,650
4 $81,850
5 $88,400
6 $94,950
7 $101,500
8 $108,050

What are the other eligibility qualifications?

1. Be a U.S. citizen, qualified alien or a non-immigrant.

2. Qualify for a mortgage.

3. Attend an 8-hour HUD class.

4. Home must be your primary residence.

5. Meet income qualifications.

If I meet the eligibility qualifications, what do I do to participate in the program?

The first step is to pick up an application from the NSP office located at the Carrollton Housing Authority.

Do I need to qualify for a mortgage?

Yes, buyers should have sound credit and must be able to qualify for a mortgage.

Where are the available homes located and how can I view a list of the inventory?

Homes available in this program are located throughout the city and county. Please visit www.carrolltonhousingauthority.com/nsp and follow the links to view the currently available NSP homes.

What benefits are available to the buyer?

1. Down-Payment Assistance of up to $6,900

2. “Move-In” Ready Home

3. Home ownership Education

4. Closing Cost Assistance

5. No “First-Time” Homebuyer Requirement

Will this program help me if am currently in the foreclosure process?

No. Unfortunately, this program is for home buyers and does not provide relief to those homeowners in the foreclosure process. We recommend you contact your lender to seek relief.